May 13, 2010

Orphaned Earrings

Over dinner in Berkeley with one of my bridesmaids a few weeks ago I was caught off guard. "Christyn," my gal Quinn said. "I have a Bead Up project for you." Quinn pulled out an old school jewelry bag and placed on the table 4 earrings. Not 2 pairs of earrings, but 4 separate, orphaned earrings. "So each of these has their own story. Each of them needs a reincarnation!" I was thrilled to take on the challenge, and saw it as a great venue for a new blog entry!


So here is what Quinn gave me:


And here is what came up with:
For this first necklace, Quinn said that the brass heart charm meant a lot to her as she bought it while living in Mexico. She asked that I add a red charm of sorts. I figured, why add one when you can add two?! How I love red coral. 


Next was this super cute little gold squirrel and nut charm duo. I cut the nut part off of the bottom of the squirrel charm and filed it smooth, and came up with a cute little pairing. I didn't need to add anything else - it was already precious as-is!


Then was this rad brass octopus. What should go with an underwater creature? Well, a pearl of course!


Lastly was this precious little gold bird. This was actually from a pair of super cute earrings that Quinn had bought in Kansas... the little bird hung in between a gold ring as if it was in a cage or something. I have actually been playing with some of my own materials since I first saw these earrings to make something similar. Anyway, here is it's recreation!




Oh, and Quinn also gave me what was left of a plastic, yet totally realistic looking, amber necklace she bought abroad. Done and done!


So, do you have any orphaned earrings that need a second chance? Let me know and I would love to reincarnate them for you! Holla!

9 comments:

  1. Great work! Makes me think of what I can do with my own orphaned earrings. Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the heart necklace and the octopus necklace! What a great idea. I'm thinking about orphaned earrings as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gold bird one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are all gorgeous! beautiful work (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fantastic at redesigning, repurposing, and reworking bit,bobbles, and charms! :>

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!! That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with all the earrings, but particularly with the bird. That blue stone behind it is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is awesome, you are doing great work and i am sure you are going to rock in this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 16, 2010

    squirrels are my FAVORITE-- i wish you could sell more of those squirrel charms-- love it :)

    Lindsay Templeton

    ReplyDelete