December 4, 2009

Fashionably Friday: Michelle Obama

If you were to ask me my political affiliation, I would most likely respond, "Leave me alone and I'll do the same for you." Seriously, I am SO not into politics. I tend to vote on a issue-by-issue basis and find it much more interesting to spend time talking about "caddy" pop-culture topics than political issues that, truly, I know nothing about in the first place. Call it ignorance, but I prefer my bliss. That said, our current First Lady is doing a great job getting me to talk about politics - finally - with her latest fashion decisions (I see a series of Fashionably Friday entries just showcasing her jewelry choices in our future!) I am going to let you all do the talking here as I merely, in a very Christyn style, present the topic and listen to what others have to say rather than soiling the issue with my uneducated opinion. Don't get me wrong, I have PLENTY of things to say about these fashion/political choices, I just choose to plead the 5th :) Let the debate COMMENCE!
White House Correspondents Dinner, necklace by St. Erasmus
At the Time 100 Gala in New York City, necklace by Loree Rodkin. At the 2009 Governors' Dinner at the White House in Washington, D.C.Necklace by Tom Binns Designs ($1,145)
Handmade, one-of-a-kind earrings by Bochic, price starting at $5,000
And if you are really in the mood to filibuster, ponder this: The First Lady wore these earrings, along with a glistening gold dress, to the State Dinner with the President of India. The dress she wore was made by an Indian-American and required the hands of over 40 people in India to complete... Ironic? Planned? Insulting? Complimentary? Thoughts, here, people. And what are your thoughts on wearing a pair of $5,000+ earrings, even if they were donated? And if you are really in the mood for a debate, read why Michelle said she would spend a $600 stimulus check on a pair of earrings... I am not telling you what to think, people, I am just presenting the topic :)
Don't forget to swing by my boutique shows this weekend - all of Bead Up's jewelry will be on display and for sale! I even hear they are going to have a snow slide at the show in Redondo Beach - I'm there!

4 comments:

  1. Those earrings are amazing. I really love the style of that first necklace, too. Hmmm, I'm feeling inspired. It's so nice to have a fashionable first lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of these photos shows a simple frock that does not take away from stunning jewelry pieces! Bravo! (I also choose to keep my politics to myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the necklaces by Loree Rodkin!!! As for the earrings that she wore to the State dinner with the President of India, if her dress was pure politics, then while I understand the colors used in the earrings, why is it topped with fleur de lis?? Or is that simply more politics happening within politics?!

    Politics are spoken of often in our home as Hubby and I are registered in opposing parties, but here, I think I will leave with my completely uneducated opinions and still loving those necklaces by Loree! :>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post! Now I'm curious how your shows went over the weekend! Do tell!

    I must admit that I am the same when it comes to politics; but my husband follows all that is going on, as do my parents and brother. I wonder what happened with me? Anyway, the First Lady really does have fabulous taste in jewelry, I must say. I am a huge fan of big gaudy jewelry, but I will admit that the third necklace, by Tom Binns, is a bit much. It looks like a scarf!

    That is the style right now. Living in New York City, I see all different types of styles, and the First Lady is definitely hip and trendy. It must be nice to take advantage of your position and wear expensive jewelry on loan! I don't personally see anything wrong with it, especially if she's helping to support hand-crafters.

    That is a bit weird about the dress though. :)

    ReplyDelete